The first cathedral was burnt down. This, the second, was started in 1868, but the spires were not added until 2000. The most impressive feature is the floor of the crypt, a mosaic undertaken by Melocco Brothers. It depicts the creation and took sixteen years to complete, being finished in 1946.
The north-south orientation of the cathedral lets light in only through the three northern end windows and so is quite dark inside.
Located at St Mary's Road (02 9220 0400). Take the train to St. James. Sydney Explorer, Stop 4 or 7.