Sydney's oldest church, consecrated in 1884, is well known for its beautiful architecture and its bells which ring out across the city. The façade of the church is built in a Georgian style and while much has changed since it first opened its doors, the building has stayed true to its original character. There are few buildings in Sydney left that were built in this period that have retained their original purpose and character.
St James often hosts lunchtime concerts of its choirs as well as seminars and other activities throughout the year. The Royal Australian Navy and other performers of high calibre can also be heard here throughout the year. It is open seven days a week, and visitors are welcome. It functions as a fully-fledged progressive inner-city church, and all are welcome to its regular services. Address: 173 King Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000.