Macquarie Place Park, along with Hyde Park, is the oldest park in the Sydney area. Since its establishment in 1810, it has condensed as the city grew around it.
Named after Governor Lachlan Macquarie, the park was originally the town square. The park's historical obelisk structure, created in 1818, provides details of the distance to various locations in New South Wales, including the colony's earliest roads. The park also displays the anchor and a canon from the Norfolk Island wreckage of the First Fleet flagship, HMS Sirius. Macquarie Place Park may be small, but it records a great deal of history. Address: Corner of Bridge and Loftus Streets, Sydney, NSW, 2000.