An island fort linked to La Perouse by a footbridge and part of Botany Bay National Park. The fort was built in 1885 to protect the original water supply. The museum in the clock tower tells the story of the explorer Comte De La Perouse who landed at Botany Bay just six days after the first fleet. Congwong Bay, (02 9247 5033).
The area of the island is one hectare, with 150 visitors being permitted at a time. In 1789, Lieutenant Ralph Clark tried to use the island as a vegetable garden, but he eventually abandoned the idea. However, his name has been preserved for posterity. It has natural bush land and grassed areas. There are no regular services to Clark Island. There is a landing charge. (9274 5033).
A historical island with a sandstone prison, tunnels and docks and the largest island on Sydney Harbour. There are regular tours but self guided tours are also allowed. Ferry from Circular Quay.
Fort Denison occupies the entirety of a small island not far from the Opera House.The circular martello tower is the only one to be found in Australia. Originally known as Mat-te-wan-ye it was renamed to Fort Denison in 1857. The Fort was abandoned in the 1870's. In 1906 the One O'clock Gun was fired each day to enable sailors to set their ship's chronometers correctly and still continues to this day. Ferries occasionally stop here and there are tours arranged by the National Park which depart from Cadman’s Cottage near Circular Quay station. (9247 5033).
Goat Island was first used to dispose of waste from a convict hulk in the harbour. Later, in 1839, a gunpowder magazine was constructed here by convicts and can still be seen. A further magazine was built in the 1850s. In 1900, the Black Death reached Sydney and Goat Island became a quarantine area. In the twentieth century, houses were constructed here and even a shipbuilding yard. The island became part of the National Park only in 1995. There are various tours to Goat Island departing from Cadman’s Cottage. (9247 5033).
The area of the island is 0.5 hectares, with 100 visitors being permitted at a time. In 1859, Mr. Brent Rodd paid a deposit for the island, which he later forfeited, but the island kept his name. It became a public reserve, but was also used in the late nineteenth century for biological research under the direction of Dr. Louis Pasteur. It has summer houses from the 1930s and a colonial hall dating from 1889. There are no regular services to Rodd Island. (9274 5033).
The area of this island is 1.5 hectares, with 500 visitors being permitted at a time and named due it's shape.The island was used as an animal quarantine area from 1880 until 1975. It has good views and sandy beaches. Ferries depart 4 times a day on Saturday and Sundays from Circular Quay run by Matilda Cruises. (9264 7377).